Monday, August 17, 2009

Who Am I?

Welcome to my blog!

Growing up I was an adventurous eater who always wanted to know when my next meal would be. I loved food and appreciated that meals and cuisine brought people together. I enjoyed going out for meals and cooking in my home, with family.

After college, I gradually began feeling more and more uncomfortable when I ate. Even simple meals could sometimes bring discomfort, bloating, and all kinds of fun stomach issues. I also started having night sweats frequently, constant fatigue, as well as arthritis symptoms. I began to fear food and meals, as I could not find an explanation as to why I felt sick constantly.

Teaching high school history, coaching and living on a 9th grade girls dorm did not allow me much time to think about feeling sick. For about two years I tried ignoring these symptoms, but they persisted. I began losing weight over a period of time and my parents and husband insisted that I seek a doctor’s opinion.

In the summer of 2007, I was diagnosed with celiac disease after spending most of my adult years feeling sick and uncomfortable. It took nearly a year of going to different doctors in order to receive my diagnosis. Doctors were confused by my symptoms and I sat through many scary and frustrating doctors' appointments over the course of a year before a doctor finally connected my health problems to gluten.

When diagnosed, I experienced many different emotions. I felt relief that I didn’t have a life threatening disease, nor would I need to take medication the rest of my life. (In my mind, of all of the diseases to have, celiac is the best one!) I was thrilled to finally know what was wrong with me, after being passed from one doctor to the next, and being tested for all kinds of illnesses and conditions. My husband, David, and I even threw a party to celebrate my diagnosis (lots of rice crackers, cheese and fruit were served).

After the immediate sense of relief, I quickly became terrified, overwhelmed and anxious. David, and I were about to embark on a two week trip through New England, followed by a week vacation with my in-laws in Maine. Questions flooded my mind as I began to think about the challenges this new diet would present: Where would I eat? What questions should I ask at restaurants? Will people think I’m rude? What can I eat on the road? Would our family be able to make meals that I could eat? Would I annoy my in-laws with all of these new 'food regulations?'

This trip was great for me as it forced me to step into the world with my new diet, instead of hiding in my home. Traveling was definitely going to be different now, but it's totally doable. There are moments when I get frustrated by having celiac, especially when I'm eating a protein bar during a wedding reception, but the down moments are minimal in comparison to how much my diagnosis and eating gluten free has changed my life for the better.

Over the past two years, I’ve learned many things about eating gluten free, and I’ve discovered all kinds of delicious foods that are gluten free. I’ve developed a love for cooking and being in the kitchen. I've continued to travel and explore new dining experiences, both in and out of my home. I feel blessed to finally know what’s wrong with me and empowered that I can make meals that make me feel my best and I can seek out restaurants that will cater to my gluten free needs.

I recently moved from the Washington, D.C. area to Atlanta. While in DC, I created a blog Gluten Free in DC that provided a venue to post gluten free recipes that I've made and love. I also wrote reviews of Washington DC restaurants (and places I travel) that are willing to accommodate a gluten free customer. When you search online for gluten free restaurants, you typically find chain restaurants, like Outback (which does have great GF options). I've found that many restaurants are knowledgeable of celiac and willing to make GF meals. Some even have gluten free menus! I plan on continuing to blog about restaurants and recipes while living in Atlanta, hence the creation of Gluten Freedom Atlanta. I hope that Gluten Freedom Atlanta will be a helpful resource for others with celiac disease in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment